Monday, October 7, 2013

New Hampshire


Leaving Hanover there were a few more days of mild terrain until the small town of Glencliff.  There is not much to the town but there is a hostel, Hikers Welcome, where one of my friends, Legion, was care taking.  During my zero at Hikers Welcome we played a game of monopoly  one night and poker the next, great time!!  Leaving Glencliff we headed into the Whites!  It was amazing to be above treeline, so many beautiful mountains, waterfalls and views.  The Whites were also filled with 'Huts'. These huts created a strange environment for thru-hikers.  The huts catered to crowds with a lot of money but a chosen few thru-hikers each day were allowed to sleep inside and eat a meal in exchange for doing some work... I decided that this wasn't really for me through the beginning due to the fact that in order to have a chance you had to stop hiking around 4:30.  However, near the end I decided I should do it just to know, so I did a short day into Madison spring hut and got a work for stay.  Here I met Twigs, Shady, and GreenBlaze.  I actually ended up around these 3 guys for the remainder of my thru-hike... Maybe my longest hiking relationship on both trails that I have completed!  After the night at Madison Springs hut we headed to Pinkham notch where we met Blis, an awesome trail angel that had thru-hiked last year, who took us in for a zero of movie watching and yummy meals:). We then went from Pinkham notch through the end of the White mountains, sad to be out of the views etc. but happy to be done with all of the hassle.  Shortly after the Whites ended do did New Hampshire...

No comments:

Post a Comment