Friday, August 16, 2013

New Jersey

The trail spends about 72 miles in New Jersey, which means I was only there for about 3 and a half days.  It was an eventful 3 and a half days though!  The entire time I was there it was either raining or threatening to rain.  This resulted in the swamps being very wet!  

The first night out I was staying at a shelter with 4 others, Patches (another girl), 2 younger guys, and an 87 year old man.  The old man headed out to get water and look for the privy and after about 45 minutes the 4 of us decided we should go look for him...  For some reason Patches and I were nominated for the search and rescue mission.  Luckily it only took us about 5 minutes to find him but he was in fact lost and very grateful to us for coming out and showing him back to the shelter... I felt a little bad that we hadn't gone out sooner.

One of the highlights of New Jersey was seeing the high point again!  I had driven there before but it was fun to walk the surrounding area and get different views. I also really enjoyed the boardwalks through some of the swamps and wildlife areas.  Other than the rain and the grumpy guy that owned a coffee shop right on the trail, New Jersey was an awesome state to hike through!

No comments:

Post a Comment